Monday, March 16, 2015

Bloom Day: March 2015


Bloom day images are a bit delayed this week due to record setting rains, with nearly two inches falling in my area in a single day. Spring is the time of flowering shrubs in my yard:

The sweetly scented sweet olive (Osmanthus x burkwoodii):


The rains took a bit of toll on it:


Northwest staple (and potential invasive speciesEnglish laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), looking a bit like bottlebrush flowers with its many fuzzy anthers and other floral bits:


The so-called "red neck rhododendron" (Daphniphyllum macropodum) is nearly in bloom. I love the red color and the bold, horizontal leaves:


Berberidaceae represents itself well in early spring with mahonias and barberries. Here is the low-growing low Oregon grape (Mahonia nervosa) with spending purple winter foliage contrasting nicely with the yellow blooms:


An evergreen barberry, Berberis replicata:

 
Northwest staple Oregon grape, Mahonia aquifolium. Most onlinen resources get the height of this plant all wrong, suggesting it only grows to 6 feet / 2 meters. In fact in can grow three times that height in the right conditions. It develops great wine colored foliage in full sun during the winter, which fades back to green just as the bright yellow flowers emerge.


 
Viburnum x pragense never seems to stop blooming:
 
 
Pieris japonica cultivars also have along bloom period. The bumblebees seem to love them.
 

And vines! This Clematis armandii. It was supposed to be the 'Apple Blossom' cultivar which has a lovely peachy-pink blush, but unfortunately it appears it was mislabeled and is merely the white-flowered species. Still lovely though.


Vinca minor is much derided as a mundane groundcover, but the blossoms are lovely up close, and the plants are evergreen and tough as nails in dry shade once established.


Also blooming but refusing to be photographed: Cymbalaria muralis, Viola labradorica, and a few other small-flowered early perennials.

6 comments:

  1. Oh! How big is, how long have you been growing that Daphniphyllum macropodum? I rarely hear from others who are growing this one so I'm excited to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought this a year and a half ago at Swanson's from their scratch-n-dent section. I recognized it because I had been on the lookout for one after reading your blog and some of the blogs you link to, and after discovering some mature tree-sized specimens at the UW arboretum. It was half off in a 2 gallon pot and was about 3 feet tall when I bought it, with one major branch broken. It's approaching 4.5 now and seems pretty happy.

      Delete
  2. Two inches of rain in a day? Only in my imagination ... I'm in Bakersfield, California, which is hot and dry 9 months of the year, then cool and dry. And then there's the drought, which hasn't changed much of anything here, since we are always conserving water. We're frequent Portland visitors, and the cool weather plants remind me of growing up on the east side of San Francisco bay ... rhododendrons were in every yard when I was a kid. I love the colors of your pink Pieris japonica, and also the blue vinca. This is my first visit to your page -- via Gardener Bloggers' Bloom Day (my post was extra-late), and I look forward to visiting often. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, two inches was kind of a record breaker even for Seattle. You and I seem to have the opposite weather: I have 9 months of cool and wet, and then 3 months of summer. Thanks for checking out my blog.

      Delete
  3. Fallen sweet olive flowers looks so sweet. Happy blooms day.

    ReplyDelete