Thursday, March 12, 2015

Transplanting Bamboo: Part 1

I have had a clump of black bamboo (Phyllostachys nigra) growing along my driveway. The foundation of the house and the hard-packed gravel of the driveway keep it in check for several years, but it eventually escaped. After creeping into a garden space with better soil and water, its roots quickly took over. I spend a day eradicating the roots and installing permanent barriers. However, I must have missed a root. A year ago seven enormous purple shoots erupted from the surface. They were so huge and perfect I couldn't bear to destroy them, so I let them grow for a season. the result was a 25 foot (7.6 m) stand of magnificent canes. The picture is a bit spoiled by the angle and the bright sunshine, but it's clear the bamboo is twice as tall as the house:


Unfortunately this shaded a lot of indoor space. Also, this clump acted as a new node of contagion and quickly sent runners through the bed. It had to go. I dug and pruned roots for about an hour until I liberated most of the root ball:


I dismantled part of the retaining all around the bed and dragged the offending clump back to the parking area by myself somehow, although it was a beast. The propane tank is a standard 5 gallon (18.9 L) tank for scale:


Lying on its side, the clump is longer than my house is wide:


Although I was able to drag the clump from its bed by myself, getting it uphill and maneuvered into its new location required four people. Pictures to follow in Part 2. And there are still rhizomes to dig up and eradicate...

No comments:

Post a Comment