Friday, March 13, 2015

Frost Damage on Pseudopanax laetus 'Kiwi Gem'

The last six weeks of spring-like conditions caused several plants to bud out early, including my recently acquired Pseudopanax laetus 'Kiwi Gem.' This is a fairly recent Monrovia introduction which I have only had since last summer. About two weeks ago temperatures dipped down to 29° to 30°F (-2° to -1° C) overnight. Light frost coated everything but left most plants unfazed - except for the new growth on this shrubby aralia relative.




This plant is supposed to be hardy to Zone 7, but we'll see.

3 comments:

  1. I bought one at the NWFG Show. Everyone I know who knows anything about it says it's not even a zone 8 plant, let alone zone 7. Maybe we'll prove them wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I bought two. If next winter is harsh, I'll dig one up and keep it in my shed and leave the other out, and see how they both do.

      Delete